The average American couple spends around $3400 on their honeymoon according to Conde Naste Bridal Infobank. A honeymoon does not have to be expensive to be extraordinary. I have prepared a list of 5 top affordable honeymoon destinations with experiences that will dazzle you! But first, here are a few ideas on
How to Save on Honeymoon Costs
- Make a budget. This will show the amount of money that you are willing to spend on the honeymoon.
- Itemize the budget. By knowing how much is set for lodging and food, you will maximize the amount you have for the most enjoyment.
- Wedding gift registry. With websites such as Honeyfund.com, you can have your dream honeymoon destination. Let your family members and friends chip in on different parts of the honeymoon. This is especially useful for couples that already have the traditional gifts of kitchen wares.
- Road trip. The main point of a honeymoon is to spend quality time with your loved one and what better way than an open road? It is a thrifty way of spending your honeymoon that will guarantee quality time to you and your loved one.
- Tree house Glamping. Glamping (Glamorous camping) has been gaining popularity over the years. If you are of the adventurous sort, you may try this from way up in the trees, in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
- Make your honeymoon last a weekend instead of a week. One weekend will serve the purpose of a honeymoon, which is relaxation with your partner.
- Postpone. You may consider postponing the honeymoon to save up, or to get the cheaper off-peak prices.
5 of the Most Stunning Budget-Friendly Honeymoon Destinations
With budget airlines like JetBlue connecting major U.S. cities and Montego Bay, Jamaica has become one of the cheapest Caribbean places to go. You can lodge at one of the all-inclusive resorts like the new Riu or Gran Bahia Ibiste that offer amazing packages.
Once there, enjoy basking in the sun with your partner whilst listening to Reggae tunes and snorkeling the dazzling sea in Jamaica. Hike to the magnificent waterfalls and swim beneath the lukewarm cascading waters.
In Ireland, the spectacular West Coast is your best bargain, being more economical and picturesque than the metropolis area. The West Coast has breathtaking scenery, quaint villages, castles and vibrant greenery making it a wonderful honeymoon destination.
B&B accommodations are available countrywide, giving you a wide range of choices. Try the thatched-roof cottages that overlook the Atlantic for a romantic night, which are mostly priced under $50 per night p/p.
For history-enthusiastic couples, Portugal’s rich history makes it an enticing honeymoon destination. Portugal has retained much of its quaint charm, with ancient castles and fishing villages. Partake in Portugal’s excellent cuisine and toast to your life together with the more than 100 different varieties of wine. All this comes at a pocket friendly price, with a week’s stay at one of Lisbon’s five-star hotels, matching one or two nights at a luxury hotel in other European capitals cost-wise.
Tunisia is a surprisingly romantic honeymoon destination, with its rolling dunes, golden sand and unparalleled night skies. A variety of cheap lodgings are available in the area, ranging between $50 and $250. Couples may choose to spend the night at the stunning Yadis Ksar Ghilane. The Yadis is a romantic palm-lined oasis with luxurious desert tents. Douz, the “Gateway to the Sahara,” is often used as a starting point for excursions to the Jebil National Park which has a variety of desert animals including gazelles, fox and jackals.
For adventurous honeymooners, Maasai Mara, Kenya is the perfect honeymoon getaway. The travel packages and cost of accommodation are quite pocket- friendly.
The Maasai Mara is home to an amazing variety of flora and fauna including the famous “Big 5”. You may time your honeymoon to coincide with the wildebeest migration which is the seventh Wonder of the World. You may also get a romantic cruise of the grasslands on a hot air balloon, and later on sip gin and tonics as you watch the East African sunset.
Remember, honeymooning does not have to cost you an arm and a leg. Visit one of these or other affordable destinations and have the time of your life with your partner.