If you grab a phone directory or perform a quick internet search, you are likely to find dozens of home security companies. However, trying to sort out which company best fits your budget and your needs can be challenging. If you are in the market for a new monitoring and security system company, the biggest consideration ought to be your family’s well being. Therefore, you want to ensure that you are entrusting their security and that of your home into capable and trustworthy hands. Below, we take a look at how to choose a home security company in 4 easy steps as follows:
1. Identify what you need
Before going shopping for a monitoring company or security system, it is important to know what you want. Are you most concerned with burglary or fire? Or do you require a medical monitoring device for a family member? Would you wish to have wireless monitoring or do you already have an existing phone line that you can use? By doing your homework well ahead of time, you make it easier to find a security company that fits your needs.
2. Ensure proper credentials
Think of this step as something akin to interviewing candidates for a vacant position. Ideally, you want to find what best fits your situation whilst also ensuring that the company you choose has proper credentials to assist you if and when the need arises. Here are a few things to be on the lookout for:
- Reputation- Look around your community and establish what security signs you see on your neighbors’ lawns. Ask them about their experiences dealing with the said companies. Also, ask family and friends who they use and if they would be willing to recommend them. Lastly, you could enquire from the Better Business Bureau to see various home security companies’ grades.
- Monitoring station- Is their monitoring station outsourced or company-owned? And does it meet the appropriate certifications such as CSAA and U.L.? Stations with these certifications have to meet stringent monitoring and security standards and are regularly tested to ensure compliance.
- History- How long has the security company been in existence? Just like a long and detailed employment history would look good on a job application, if the company that you are interested in has been in business for a while, chances are that they are doing something right.
3. Choose a company that is neither too big nor too small
A majority of home security companies are just too large. And while this may not seem to be much of a problem, there is the likelihood of you just becoming another number on their long list of clients which means that getting high quality personal service will be next to impossible. Conversely, some security companies are nothing more than a storefront manned by a guy with a pager. While going too small is likely to jeopardize the security you want, you nonetheless need a company with a strong regional presence and one that still provides you with personal service.
4. Look beyond price in settling for a security company
While price is an important factor when choosing a security monitoring company, a company’s advertised prices may sometimes be deceiving. Therefore, try and establish what is included in the price in order to help you compare different companies’ offerings by asking some of these questions:
- Does one have to sign a contract to get the prices?
- Are there additional charges if you wish to add other forms of monitoring or alternatively, request wireless monitoring?
- Are there activation fees?
- What kind of warranty comes with the security system?
- If you decide to move to another security company in future, can another company monitor your system?
- Is it a requirement to pay for the first and last month’s surveillance upfront?
- Would it be easy for additional components such as smoke alarms, motion detectors, and glass sensors to be added later on?
- Can you make use of remote services to check on your security system’s status on your computer or smartphone even when you are not near your abode?
Asking the appropriate questions and having a good idea of what you want well in advance will go a long way towards helping you identify the security company that is right for you and your family. And once you settle on a company that suites your lifestyle and budget, you will have the peace of mind in knowing that you have done all you could in protecting your household and more importantly, your loved ones from threatening situations such as fire and intrusion.