Your hands are most probably the most ignored part of your body. However, you use them to do almost everything. If you have sandpaper-ish hands and ragged cuticles, it is mainly because your hands don’t receive the care they deserve. You don’t have to keep your hands hidden any longer because we’ll be discussing some easy and effective ways to take care of your hands and nails. Use these beauty tips and soon you’ll be flaunting your gorgeous hands and nails.
1. Protect Your Hands
From Extremely Hot or Cold Water
This is something that all women with beautiful nails follow without fail. Exposing your hands to too much hot water can make them dry. The sebum of your hand is taken away when you use very hot water. On the other hand, very cold water can be the reason behind a constriction, following which, dilation of the capillary vessels can take place. This will eventually cause redness. Hence, instead of using too hot water, go for lukewarm water, and in place of icy cold water, use normal temperature or slightly cold water.
For good hand care it is extremely important to protect your hands from harmful chemicals. If you are involved in any work that requires dealing with chemicals on a daily basis, you can use barrier creams. These non-greasy creams can protect your skin from inflammation and dermatitis.
The back of your hand has very thin skin and it is the first place to display the signs of aging. Hence, it is mandatory to take extra care of it. Use an SPF 15 lotion or cream to protect your hands from the harmful rays of the sun. Unprotected exposure to the rays of the sun can increase the chances of Cancer. Your hands can also get drier as the skin’s barrier is disturbed by the UV rays resulting in water loss and decrease in the natural moisturizing factor of the skin. So, keep sunscreen with you all the time and use it generously.
2. Hand Massage
A quick and relaxing hand massage can do wonders for your hands and nails. Through this, your circulation will be improved, you can get rid of any ongoing pain, your hands’ flexibility and ranges of motion can be improved etc. If you want to save money, you can do it yourself, or go to a spa. Some added benefits are that you will be able to sleep better and also get rid of headaches. Here are some easy ways to do a hand massage.
- Remove any jewelry, watch, or anything else from your hands.
- Soften your hands by applying your favorite moisturizer or hand cream.
- Stretch your hands and pinch every fingertip on each hand.
- Using your thumb, gently rub your hand’s heels in circular motions.
- Rub the edges of your palm of your hands utilizing the same technique.
- Reverse your hands so that your fingers are facing down. Keep your thumb on the palm and figure out the pressure point in between your index finger and the thumb. In this area, do deep kneading, gliding, or compression. You can use either your knuckle or your index finger to do this.
- Utilizing an upward circular motion, massage on your hand’s back starting from the base to the bottom of the joints.
- Stretch your muscles by pulling each of your fingers. Do this with gentle hands.
- Apply pressure with your thumb and using a circular motion progress down to your forearm.
3. Do Not Use Too Harsh Nail Polish
Nail care is also important. Nail polish is made of several chemicals. Some of these harmful chemicals are toluene, diethyl phthalates, formaldehyde, dibutyl phthalate, etc. For many beauty tips it is very important to read the label of the product before buying it. There are some companies which do not include these chemicals in their product. Another option is water-based nail polish which can be considered very safe for your nails.
4. Keep Your Hands Dry
In order to keep your hands in a healthy state and maintain good hand care, it is necessary that you keep them dry at all times. After cleaning your hands thoroughly, it is important to dry your hands, otherwise, some bacteria may remain on your hands and spread. To avoid this, you can use the electric air dryers, or, in the absence of this, you can also use paper towels to dry out your hands.
5. Wear Gloves while Doing Daily Chores
It is always necessary to protect your hands from harmful substances. If you have to take part in daily chores like gardening, cleaning, or dealing with dirt, ensure that you use gloves. It is preferable that you use rubber, plastic, nitrile, or vinyl gloves which have a cotton liner. If you don’t use gloves or protect your hands while cleaning or washing dishes, you will make your nails weak and brittle. In colder weather, you can wear a warm pair of mittens so that the chilly wind can’t turn your hands dry.
6. Make Manicure Your Best Friend
Pamper your hands and nails at least once a month. Opt for manicures to give your hands that much-needed nourishment. However, ensure that you get the most out of your manicures. Make sure to check a few things before you get a manicure. See if the salon has a license and certified technicians. Make sure that all the nail tools are properly sterilized before they are used. Another beauty tip for proper nail care is to keep your nails in good shape by getting them properly trimmed, filed, shaped, and buffed regularly. A little maintenance is essential to keep your hands in a healthy state.
Smart tips to do a manicure at home
Do you want to conduct a manicure session right at your home? Follow the steps given below:
- Remove your nail polish – After you have gathered all the tools required, use nail polish remover and cotton to remove the polish.
- Dip your hand in a bowl of soapy water – Take a bowl and fill it up with your favorite cleanser. Dip your hands in it for five-six minutes.
- Work on your cuticles – Following the previous step, take out your hand and push back the cuticles using a washcloth.
- Give your nails the shape you want – Shape your nails using a nail cutter and get rid of the hangnails if there are any.
- Give extra potion to your hand – Use lemon juice or salt and oil to make your nails and hands healthier. You can keep it on for five to ten minutes.
- Moisturize your hands – Take out your lotion or hand cream and use it generously to moisturize your hands. You can also take two washcloths and keep your hands wrapped in them for a few minutes. This will leave you with refreshed, soft, and supple hands.
- Coat your nails or buff them – You can buff your nails or coat them with a base coat. Apply your favorite polish, and finish with a top coat.
7. Cleanliness is the Key
Many beauty tips involve cleanliness. Dirty nails can give rise to fungal infections which can cause bigger problems in the future. You should always keep your hands and nails squeaky clean. Always ensure that your nails and the surrounding skin are completely free of any dirt before you engage in an activity. While washing your hands, don’t use regular dish soap. Instead, use a non-transparent cleanser. This way, you can ensure that your hands don’t get dry.
Also, you should see if the cleanser contains any natural antibacterial ingredient like eucalyptus or tea tree oil. Regularly remove your nail polish with the help of an acetone-free remover. This way, your nails will get a chance to breathe. For that extra cleaning, you can use a toothbrush and soap to scrub your hands and nails gently, recommends the writer of ‘Heal Your Skin’, Dr. Ava Shamban. This way, you can exfoliate and remove dirt from your skin without using any harsh or harmful chemical.
8. Moisturize and Moisturize
Moisture is among many beauty tips as well and your hands are no exception. You must always keep your hands moisturized. Use oils, hand creams, lotions, etc. to keep the moisture level of your hands balanced at all time. Keep these moisturizers in places like the bathroom sink, kitchen sink, nightstand, etc. Keep a hand cream in your bag all the time. Sally, a manicurist by profession and an expert by choice suggests keeping a good quality moisturizer and using it a minimum three times a day after cleaning your hands. In the summer, you can go for a moisturizer which is light and non-greasy, and for the winter seasons, use heavy moisturizers that contain body butter. If you have very dry skin, you can always use some extra moisturizer.
9. Keep Your Cuticles Healthy
You might have a habit of overlooking your cuticles, however, you should stop doing that. Any small wear and tear as a result of dryness or hangnails can make the region susceptible to infections. This may result in painful swelling. The health of your cuticles is extremely important. Did you know that cuticles serve a very important purpose? The area at the nail’s base is sealed by the cuticle. Hence, you should never cut your cuticles. If you do the same, this seal of protection will be broken and will make the area prone to bacterial and fungal infection.
If you cannot help your habit of messing with your cuticles, here’s what you can do. Using a wooden orange stick, push back the cuticle once a week when the area is still damp or moist. Following this, you should gently massage the cuticles with any thick cream. Keeping this place moisturized and hydrated will help in protecting the place against fungus, bacteria, etc.
10. Dark Spot Treatment
There are many reasons for which dark spots may appear on your hands, such as, UV rays, pollution, iron deficiency pimples, etc. However, there are some home remedies for removing them. For example, you can take fresh lemon juice and apply it on the spots directly. Wait for 10-15 minutes and then clean it off with water. You should repeat this one or two times a day. Apart from this, you can also take castor oil and apply 2-3 drops on the spots and massage the until it gets fully absorbed. You should do this every night. Thus, you can lighten the dark spots on your hands.
Follow these simple steps, and you can easily do a manicure at home. Give your hands the care they deserve. Take proper care of your hands and nails starting today!