We spend a fortune on dye jobs, highlights, and touchups. Then within weeks, that color starts to fade away. However, that hair color doesn’t have to fade away too quickly. Here are 15 tips to stretch that hair color and maintain your fabulous look.
1. Stay away from hot showers
Time to turn down the heat. Hot showers are not only a recipe for dry and rough skin, but they also massacre your hue.
- Hot water opens the cuticle to wash away the dye.
- Shampoo and rinse your hair with room temperature water.
- Dry using a towel, condition and rinse with cold water to seal the cuticle. That keeps your locks looking nice, hydrated and eliminates split ends.
2. Don’t wash your hair frequently
Shampooing your hair every day washes away your hair color and natural oils as well.
- Opt for a dry shampoo to soak up grease, sweat and also add volume.
3. Avoid sulfate-based shampoo on color-treated hair
When washing, go for gentle, sulfate-free shampoos to make your streaks look fabulous for longer.
- Sulfates contain salts that strip away moisture and color from hair.
- Moisture loss is the leading cause of loss of color hair.
Related: Choose the Perfect Hairstyle for Your Face Shape
4. Add a shower filter
Hard water removes dyes and natural oils very fast.
- Filters remove mineral sediments, the saboteurs that make brunette strands brassy and fades you red hue, from the water.
- Filters remove soap build-ups and heavy metals that mess up with your hair color.
5. Use deep conditioners for color-treated hair
For color treated hair, deep conditioning with a conditioner specifically designed for colored hair is critical.
- Deep conditioning moisturizes and nourishes your hair, making it soft and shiny.
- Deep color conditioners prevent color fading
- Apply the conditioner for colored hair to the root of your hair for maximum benefits
6. Go slow on Deep Conditioners
Rinsing a hair conditioner washes away the hair color. Opt for a weekly deep conditioning to keep your hair from fading.
- Allow the deep conditioner to rest on your hair for about 10 minutes to receive full benefits.
- Putting on a shower cap to build up heat allows the conditioner to penetrate better.
- Protein deep conditioning can also be done on hair that needs deep conditioning.
7. Use jojoba oil on your hair
Jojoba oil resembles natural oils produced by the hair.
- Add jojoba oil to your shampoo, or apply it to dry hair.
- The oil serves to moisturize dry and wet hair hence preserving color.
8. Cut down on your heat tools
Heat is often rough on hair color.
- Regular blow drying, hot tool styling, dryers, and flat irons do a number on your hue.
- Style and tame products preserve your hair color integrity.
Related: Top Natural Ways to Make Your Hair Grow Faster
9. Use thermal protectants
When heat styling your hair, use a thermal protectant to protect hair from dryness, breakages, and color fading.
- Thermal protectants coat your hair, protecting it from the drying effect of styling tools.
10. Too much sun ruins your hue
Too many UV rays are dangerous to your hair color.
- Go for conditioners that have built-in UV protection.
- Hair sunscreen smoothens and protects hair without making it greasy.
- Wear hats if you spend a lot of time in the sun.
11. Consider adding a top coat
To maintain color and boost the shine on your hair, scheduling a glossing treatment with your stylist is recommended.
- A top coat works to add a shiny color and lock the hair color in for a long lasting fabulous look.
- Neutralizes any brassiness in addition to sealing the hair cuticles.
12. Prepare your hair
Do your hair a favor and do prep before coloring.
- Chelating shampoos and deep conditioning masks help you lock in the coloring molecules in for longer.
Related: The Best Hair Care Tips to Get Your Mane Back in Shape
13. Swim smarter
Always protect your hair from the bleaching effects of chlorine.
- Use hair protectors with SPF when swimming to keep your hair color intact.
- Spray a leave-in conditioner on before swimming to moisturize.
- Use fresh water to wet your hair before taking a dip. That way it won’t absorb as much pool or ocean water.
14. Go for quality hair conditioners
Use hair dyes, highlights, and conditioners that your hair can retain for a long time.
- Hair colors fortified with natural oils help retain moisture in your color-treatment, leaving it looking shiny and healthy.
- Consider using ammonia-free hair colors.
15. Eat a balanced diet
Healthy diets fuel hair growth and luster. As such, consume balanced diets to keep your hair color looking fresh longer.
- Iron rich diets build healthy keratin
- Proteins improve hair texture, stimulate growth and strengthen hair.
- Vitamins also help keep color treated hair shiny and healthy.