Every home cook should have a number of chicken recipe ideas on hand, not only because most people like chicken, but chicken is budget friendly and a healthy meat choice for any meal of the day. You can find chicken recipe ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The following 5 recipes are simple and easy to make and cover every single meal of the day.
1. Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
Almost everyone loves fried chicken, but cooking in all that oil is not a very healthy way to eat, which is what makes this crispy oven friend chicken so great. It has the crispiness of fried chicken without all of that unhealthy fat.
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 Large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon of water
- 1 1/2 cups of corn flakes crushed
- Salt, and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Lightly oil a baking pan or small baking sheet
- Rinse chicken and pat dry and set aside
- Whisk eggs and water together in a bowl (large enough to fit the chicken breasts one at time)
- Mix cornflakes and seasonings together in large bowl
- Dip chicken in the egg mixture coating both sides and then dip in cornflakes mixture (double dipping in both the egg and cornflakes mixture can result in crispier chicken.
- Place on baking sheet skin side up and oven fry for about 45 minutes or until chicken is done (you may want to turn the chicken skin side down for the last 15 minutes or so)
By using cornflakes instead of flour or frying batter your chicken will have the crispiness of fried as well as a unique taste.
2. Chicken and Broccoli Omelet
Perfect as a brunch or breakfast recipe this chicken and broccoli omelet is healthy and tastes great and makes a great change from your standard egg and meat breakfast. Although this omelet is a breakfast recipe for one, all you need to do is double the recipe and use a larger skillet.
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- 1 Tablespoon of skim or 2% milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup leftover cooked broccoli
- ¼ cup diced white meat chicken (boiled or roasted if using leftovers)
- 1 slice reduced fat Swiss cheese
- Cooking spray
- In a small bowl beat eggs, egg whites, milk, salt and pepper together.
- In a medium size non-stick skillet spray the cooking spray, warm skillet and then add egg mixture.
- Rotate pan to completely cover the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to low
- Divide Swiss cheese in half and place cheese down the center of the almost cooked egg.
- Place chicken and broccoli on top of the cheese
- Flip both ends of the egg up over the chicken, broccoli and cheese to form the omelet and then slide onto a plate and serve.
This makes a filling and healthy breakfast that will help you get the day off to a great start.
3. Baked Chicken Recipes
There are hundreds of baked chicken recipes and most of them are delicious. However, this particular baked chicken and vegetable recipe is not only delicious, but healthy for you as well.
- 2 Chicken thighs
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of broccoli florets
- 1 medium or large sweet potato peeled and cut into bite size cubes
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place chicken thighs into the bottom of a small or medium baking dish
- Spread the vegetables evenly around and over the chicken
- Drizzle with olive oil and mix in order to coat vegetables evenly
- Sprinkle with garlic, salt and pepper
- Bake uncovered in oven for 45 to 50 minutes or until chicken is done
- Let chicken rest a few minutes before serving.
This baked chicken and veggie recipe makes a great one dish meal that is colorful and filling.
4. Slow Cooker Curry Chicken
If you are one of those people who do most of your cooking using a slow cooker and are looking for a new chicken recipe ideas to use in your slow cooker then this slow cooker curry chicken recipe should hit the spot.
- 1 or 1 ½ pounds of boneless chicken breast cubed
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 6 to 7 ounces of coconut milk
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon of curry powder (depending on your taste level)
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon shredded unsweetened coconut (optional)
- Place chicken, potatoes, onion, garlic, coconut milk, chicken broth and curry powder into the crock pot
- Cook on low for 4 hours
- Add red pepper and cook for another hour
- combine cornstarch and water and stir until smooth
- Stir into the slow cooker and cook until slightly thickened
- Serve over rice and top with shredded coconut if desired
This curry chicken dish is great for those cold winter days when you want something hot and comforting.
5. Tasty Lemon Chicken
Lemon chicken has a fresh taste that many people just love and this easy-to-follow recipe means you can have this delicious dish any time you like.
- 2 4-ounce boneless chicken breasts
- 2 Teaspoons olive oil
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or fresh chopped basil
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup fresh sliced mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 Tablespoons water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a nonstick skillet over medium heat place the olive oil and then brown the chicken on both sides.
- Add chicken broth, basil, lemon zest, sliced mushrooms, garlic, and lemon juice
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cover, cooking for between 10 and 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.
- Remove chicken from the pan and keep warm
- Combine the corn starch and water and stir until the mixture is smooth
- Bring the contents of the skillet back to boiling and add in cornstarch mixture
- Cook stirring until the contents are slightly thickened
- Pour over chicken and serve
Many people serve this lemon chicken with rice, but it also goes great with a side of oven browned potatoes.
Now that you have this handful of great chicken recipes isn’t it time to get cooking?