Dinner time can sometimes be a mess: the kids are finishing up their homework, the grown-ups are getting home from work and it just seems like there’s not enough time to make a hearty meal with nutritional value. If you’re looking for the easiest dinner ideas for a family, especially a family with kids, don’t miss this post!
1. Lemon Garlic Parmesan Chicken Tenders
Chicken tenders are the ultimate finger food, perfect for kids and adults alike. If you want to make the perfect family dinner chicken recipe, these juicy, oven-fried treats are all you need.
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt to season
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 28 ounces (800 g) chicken tenders
- 1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup regular breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon mild paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF and lightly grease a baking tray.
- Whisk the eggs, oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper together.
- Dip the chicken tenders into the mixture and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine breadcrumbs, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and parmesan cheese.
- Spread breadcrumb mixture on the chicken and arrange the tenders in the baking tray. Spray with cooking oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes then flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
2. Tomato Soup With Grilled Cheese Croutons
There’s no hearty family dinner like a soup. If you want to prepare the perfect warm and tasty meal, especially during the winter months, check out this recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 (28-ounce) cans of whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish
Grilled Cheese Croutons Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 slices white or wheat bread
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Spread butter on a grill pan over high heat and grill the bread, then place cheddar cheese over it to create the sandwich. Let the cheese melt and the bread turn golden in color.
- Heat olive oil in a pot and add onion, garlic, red pepper, flakes, and bay leaf. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and smash them, then add heavy cream and sugar.
- Boil, reduce heat and simmer until soup thickens, then remove the bay leaf.
- Puree the mix, stir in vegetable broth, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add the grilled cheese croutons.
Related: Easy and Healthy Chicken Recipe Ideas for Two
3. Mediterranean Salad with Pearl Couscous Recipe
Not all dinners need to be heavy. You can prepare a light yet delicious family dinner by preparing a hearty salad filled with vegetables. This pearl couscous recipe is super easy to follow.
- 2 cups Pearl Couscous
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- ⅓ cup finely chopped red onions
- ½ English cucumber, finely chopped
- 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, roughly chopped if needed
- ½ cup pitted olives
- 15-20 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- 3 oz fresh baby mozzarella
Lemon-Dill Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 1 large lemon
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dill weed
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and pepper
- For the vinaigrette, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pot, sauté the couscous in the olive oil until it’s golden brown and add 3 cups of boiling water. Drain in a colander and set aside to cool.
- Combine the remaining ingredients (minus the basil and mozzarella) in a large bowl. Add the couscous and the basil and keep mixing.
- Whisk the vinaigrette again and add it to the salad.
- Mix in the mozzarella cheese, garnish with basil, and serve.
4. Creamy Chicken and Rice
Rice is very versatile for the most convenient family dinner recipes. This creamy chicken and rice is the perfect casserole, is kid-friendly, and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. For dessert afterwards, check out these rice pudding recipes.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 carrot diced
- 3 cups Simple Truth chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce can evaporate milk
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas or 1 15-ounce can of peas, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, garlic, 1 teaspoon of salt, and thyme. Cook for about 5 minutes until the onion softens.
- Add the rice and carrot and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and evaporated milk and stir in the chicken, the remaining salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 15 minutes, making sure the rice doesn’t stick.
- Stir in the peas and add more chicken broth if the mixture is too thick. Sprinkle with cheese and let melt before serving.
Related: Dinner Ideas with Pineapple – 5 Tasty and Easy Recipes to Try
5. Chicken Salad Sandwich
Everybody loves a good sandwich! If you want to make a popular dinner choice with a healthy twist, this chicken salad sandwich is just what you need.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 slices lemon
- 6 sprigs dill, plus 1 tbsp, chopped
- 1 green apple, chopped
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Baguette, for serving
- Butter lettuce, for serving
- Arrange the chicken in a single layer in a large pot. Place the lemon slices and dill sprigs on top, pour water over it and bring to a boil for about 10 minutes. Once it’s cooked, slice the chicken into 1” pieces.
- Combine chicken, apple, onion, and celery in a large bowl.
- In another bowl whisk the mayonnaise, Dijon, and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over chicken salad and mix well.
- Garnish with chopped dill and serve on a fresh baguette with lettuce.
Now that you’ve got some new and easy dinner ideas and chicken recipes at hand, you’ll have no problem cooking a filling meal for everybody. Start prepping these recipes and share some precious time at the dinner table.