We all know that soda is a big source of sugar and calories, but did you know that juice can be just as big – if not a bigger – source of unhealthy sugars and calories? Twelve ounces of soda compared to twelve ounces of apple juice only have a difference of 5 grams of sugar, and apple juice has even MORE calories than soda.
If you’re looking to lose weight or to get on a healthier diet, you might want to start out by getting some healthier drinks. But how are you supposed to know how healthy a drink is? You make it!
Making your own healthy drinks to lose weight or to help you stay healthy can be a great way to add some more nutrition to your diet. Also, don’t neglect to drink enough water.
In order to drink enough water:
- Mark a water bottle with times of the day (8AM, 9AM, 10AM, etc.)
- Between each number (between 8AM and 9AM) there should be 200 mL of water.
- As the day goes on, finish each portion of the water by the time of day that is marked on the bottle.
- You might need to mark the bottle on two different sides and refill halfway through the day depending on the size of the bottle.
In addition to water you need to get your daily vitamins and minerals, which is where making your own drinks comes in. Making your own healthy drinks to lose weight or making healthy drinks for kids may seem daunting if you’ve never made your own drinks before, but it’s so easy and delicious you’ll wonder why you ever bought drinks from a store in the first place!
Related: 6 Body Detox Drinks to Cleanse Your System
Healthy Drink Recipes
1. Energizing Berry Juice
This is a great pre-workout juice. It gives you energy through its antioxidants and nitric oxide. It’s tasty for kids as well, and would be a good drink to go along with breakfast to give them the energy they need for their school day.
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cucumber
- 1 beet (peeled)
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup of spinach
- 1/2 cup – 1 cup of arugula
- Juice spinach and arugula in an electric juicer then add the cucumber, the berries, and the beet.
- Drinking a cup of one of your Energizing Berry Juice a few minutes before you leave for a party or big dinner can help curb your appetite
- Next time you’re going to a big dinner function have a big cup of Energizing Berry Juice and you’ll eat less – and have more nutrients – than you would have otherwise.
Related: 10 Best Diet Tips to Lose Weight and Improve Healthy Eating
2. Orange Carrot Juice
This drink specifically has a lot of calories, because it was meant to be drunk after a workout when your body needs replenishing. It’s also a great way to get some calories into kids who are picky eaters. The juice is nice and tangy because of the orange and it is a creamy consistency because of the sweet potato.
- 8 ounces sweet potato (peeled and chopped)
- 4 ounces orange (peeled)
- 3 ounces carrot (chopped) (usually comes out to about 2 carrots)
- Simple – juice all ingredients in an electric juicer and serve!
- The scent of oranges has been known to reduce stress and improve mood.
- Smelling or eating an orange (or drinking this orange juice) in the morning can help make you feel more awake.
3. Lemon Energy Tea
If you’re looking for caffeine that you might get from a cup of coffee or a bottle of soda, this is the drink for you. This drink does not require a juicer and it contains a type of tea called “yerba mate.” Yerba mate is full of vitamins and minerals and has the caffeine you need to get through the day. You can find yerba mate tea at some grocery stores or at specialty tea stores.
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 green tea bags
- 1 yerba mate tea bag
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp. honey
- Ice cubes
- Steep all tea bags in cup of boiling water for 5 minutes
- Remove tea bags (squeeze excess liquid out of tea bags when removing them)
- Add honey and lemon juice
- Add ice cubes and wait for drink to chill
- Before juicing a lemon, roll it around the counter and squeeze it a little bit.
- Then when you cut it open and squeeze it, more juice will come out.
Related: 10 Healthy Smoothie Recipes to Get You through Your Day
4. Blackberry Kiwi Juice
Have a kiwi or this Blackberry Kiwi Juice before bed. Kiwi has properties that help improve sleep.
- 1 cup blackberries
- ¼ pineapple
- 1 kiwi
- 1 pear
- Bunch of fresh mint leaves
- Juice mint leaves first then juice the rest of the ingredients
Related: Healthy Diet Ideas to Help You Lose Weight Like a Model
Now you can have something as delicious as a glass of store-bought juice or soda without NEARLY as many calories or grams of sugar! And don’t forget about these drink recipes! They are sure to help you in your quest to be healthier!