You can sell anything that you want online nowadays and a lot of people are turning to Amazon to sell their products. However, more and more sellers are frustrated with Amazon’s “A to Z Guarantee” policies that far favors buyers over sellers. It might surprise you that there are other ecommerce platforms that are just as good – if not better – than Amazon. Take a look at this list of online retailers you can use to sell your products.
What are the Pros of Selling on Amazon?
- Amazon has a big audience – it draws nearly 184 million visitors a month, so the products you are selling will definitely be seen by a large amount of people.
- It is easy to acquire new customers on Amazon, as people search for items they would like more often than they search for brand names. If they search for an item, your product could show up and they can purchase from you without knowing who you are.
- Amazon’s A to Z Guarantee may favor buyers, but that generous return policy puts buyers at ease and makes them feel safer to buy more which could result in more sales.
What are the Cons of Selling on Amazon?
- There are marketplace fees to sell on Amazon. If you don’t have a lot of products it might not be worth it to sell on Amazon. A certain percentage of the money you make from each item you sell is taken from you in addition to some upfront fees you might have to pay.
- Amazon can restrict your access to communicate with customers, tell you how much you can charge for certain items, and control other aspects of your business. You don’t have a lot of control if you’re selling on Amazon.
What Websites Besides Amazon Exist?
Rakuten (formerly Buy.com) is an international ecommerce platform known as the “Amazon of Japan.” It is among the top 3 ecommerce communities in the world. Its website is easy to use, and it sells retail similar to Amazon.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on Rakuten?
- You can customize their product pages more than other websites, and sellers can even make their own blogs.
- You are also allowed to conduct follow-up marketing to customers.
- Its audience is less than 1 percent of Amazon’s. There will still be a lot of people viewing your products (there are still over one million people in its audience).
- There is a $0.99 fee per each item you sell, which can make it difficult to sell lower priced items.
Etsy is a website for homemade products like jewelry, clothing, and specialty items. Etsy is not a big retail site with products made by brands but rather a site of independent owners selling their handmade items.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on Etsy?
- Posting new items and dealing with shipping is easier on this site than other sites.
- Etsy is respected by its customers and is well-known.
- It can be difficult to post unique items on Etsy and get attention for them.
- Manufacturers are also on Etsy, so it’s not always easy for you to be noticed.
Newegg has been called the “Geek-favorite electronics retailer” by Forbes Magazine. This retail site is all about technological products, anything that has something to do with any type of electronic. Again, this is more of a specialty site than Amazon, but it can be good to shop around on these specialty sites when looking for a specific item.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on Newegg?
- Newegg’s audience knows what they want and are knowledgeable about the products you are selling. There is good customer service on Newegg so the customers are usually happy.
- Newegg has one of the lowest commission rates of all online marketplaces.
- You have to pass a screening test in order to sell on Newegg and agree to their terms to provide good customer service.
- Products without a big brand name don’t sell well, because Newegg customers are usually looking for something specific. If you have a lot of no-name products, this site would not be for you.
ebay is very similar to Amazon in that it is more of a site for general products than specialty goods. The difference is there is a bidding option on products, but there is also a “Buy It Now” option, in which the process of buying the product will be very similar to Amazon.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on eBay?
- Fees are lower than other ecommerce sites.
- Their site is user-friendly and easy to use.
- There are ongoing glitches with the site.
- Customer service is not great.
Bonanza is very similar to ebay except it is a little lesser-known.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on Bonanza?
- The site is easy to use, and it is easy to manage everything you are selling.
- There are no listing fees or hidden fees.
- Its audience is not nearly as big as some of the other ecommerce sites (Amazon, eBay, etc.).
- It is hard to sell duplicate items because the prices are so competitive. It is best to sell unique items on Bonanza.
eBid is like eBay without the “Buy It Now” option. It is truly an auction site.
What are the Pros and Cons of Selling on eBid?
- There are no fees per listing and the fees per sale are low.
- The site has a lot of customizable features.
- There is not a lot of monthly traffic on this site.
- Creating featured listings costs money.
Amazon can be a great place to sell your products, but there are so many other options. It’s important you do your research before picking a which ecommerce website you are going to use. Take all of these pros and cons into consideration when picking which marketplace you will use!